Recently, Variety KC offered school districts financial grants to boost inclusion in their Physical Education classes. The North Kansas City School District took us up on this offer and is changing the way their students with disabilities experience gym classes. We are so excited to partner with the North Kansas City Schools. Read what they had to say:
“These pieces of equipment will benefit a wide variety of students across the NKC school district. We will use them in different adaptive PE programs as appropriate to get students moving and active alongside their peers. As the second largest district in the
state of Missouri, we are constantly trying to improve our programming and enhance each student’s education. Physical fitness is an important aspect of every student’s day and these pieces of equipment will allow a wider variety of students to be active and feel
motivated to participate in PE with their classmates. Many of our students are interested in riding a tricycle but have never had the
opportunity due to their home/neighborhood constraints and limited funding through insurance for this equipment. We would love to open up new possibilities for students to experience and add some fun into their school day while improving their overall physical
At Variety KC, we know that kids with special needs have no seasonal needs. The population we serve didn’t need less during the pandemic, and in fact they needed more! As a result, last year or so was an extra busy one for Variety and our #inclusionrevolution. Here are a few of the highlights:
- We launched the KC Inclusion Revolution, an initiative to help businesses understand the importance of including all kids in our community. If you would like a Variety representative to come talk to your business or help you to launch inclusive efforts, just contact us at VarietyKC@gmail.com. Let’s build a stronger community by involving the entire community!
- WyCo: Plans are in place for Legends Stadium and their drive to offer a more inclusive experience including a Variety KC all inclusive playground, sensory kits, accessible parking signs and more. The plans are attached!
- Northland: Another nationwide first! Variety KC is partnering with Sporting KC at the new northland sports complex to create the first Power Soccer Field Outdoors AND Variety KC inclusive playground in the same complex. Power Soccer is traditionally played in power wheelchairs and always indoors on a gym floor or basketball court. What Variety KC is building is an outdoor field – one less “difference” between traditional and adaptive play. That’s true inclusion. The complex is amazing, check it out at www.VARIETYKC.org/project/powersoccer
- Variety KC Sensory Kits are gaining ground. This year we added Wonderscope Children’s Museum (where we built an inclusive treehouse), Children’s Mercy Hospital, Starlight Theatre, B&B Theatres nationwide, and – we outfitted 300 area police patrol cars with sensory kits to help them to better serve our communities.
- What better way to introduce travelers to our inclusive city than through the Variety KC Inclusive Play Zone at the New KCI International Airport. (Opening Spring 2023) This area allows kids to decompress before getting on a flight, and after arriving at KCI. Parents today are far more likely to travel with kids, making it a comfortable experience for everyone will result in a better flight for all. After all, doesn’t every child deserve to travel and explore?
Variety KC partnered with Starlight Theatre to make sure they were equipped with inclusive tools to reopen and include all people of all abilities in the arts! https://youtu.be/nizBa4RZwKY
- One of the most impactful ways to reach a large audience and introduce our “hidden population” is through film. The New Variety KC Documentary will do just that!
- We hit this one out of the park! As Variety started to build inclusive play areas, we installed communication boards to help all kids communicate with each other, their caregivers, and friends-in-the-making. We discovered that Sign Language Boards engaged even more kids and encouraged them to “talk” with one another. To date we have 20 KCMO Parks equipped with these boards – come try them out!
This year we were honored to be recognized by the following:
- Nonprofit Connect honored our marketing and branding efforts with a Silver Philly Award.
- International Variety honored Randi Mahomes with the coveted International Variety Presidential Award.
- And we are proud to announce we once again achieved the Top-Rated Non-profit Award.
- The NWSL (the new women’s soccer league in KC) selected Variety KC as the first recipient of their community giving campaign.
And this is just the start!
Follow us on social media to see the KC Inclusion Revolution at work and read our blogs at www.varietykc.org for a closer look at individual children we impact through generous donors and volunteers. And contact us to join the #kcinclusionrevolution – because of people like you, our community is rapidly becoming known as the most inclusive community in the country.
Recently, the City of KCMO and Sporting KC broke ground on the 76-acre Central Bank Soccer Complex, a multi-sport complex for year-round use. The facility offers something for everyone, it’s the most inclusive sports complex in the nation.
First – an inclusive field available for soccer teams competing in power wheelchairs. Powerchair Soccer (aka Power Soccer) is traditionally played indoors on basketball or gymnasium surfaces. This is the first known outdoor field specifically designed to accommodate the sport and it is one step closer to “evening the playing field,” allowing all kids equal opportunity to play.
This solid surface can also potentially be used for the up-and-coming sport of Frame Soccer (kids using walkers, a sport which is gaining traction in the UK.) There will also be turf/grass fields for Amputee Soccer, Blink Soccer, Paralympic Soccer (7 a side), Short Stature Soccer and Special Olympics.
Thank you for supporting the #inclusionrevolution and the drive to make our community the most inclusive in the country. Donate today at www.varietykc.org/donate
Introducing the most purposely inclusive stadium ever- right here in KC, home of Variety KC’s t #InclusionRevolution. Variety KC has partnered with Sporting KC and the Victory Project to help make Children’s Mercy Park the most welcoming stadium for people with disabilities. It is our hope that other cities, arenas, and stadiums will follow our lead.
The single largest minority population is the 26% of Americans with a disability. Unfortunately, this population is oftentimes invisible because the world simply isn’t built to allow them to participate. With these changes, EVERYONE can participate and enjoy watching Sporting KC play – live!
Here are the changes that make this possible:
- Variety KC’s Sensory Room provides guests a sanctuary if the excitement and environment get overwhelming. Young guests can quiet down with a room filled with sensory toys and gadgets, while parents can still watch the game on a TV until the child is ready to re-enter the game.
- Variety KC Sensory Backpacks can be checked out for FREE at guest services. These backpacks include noise cancelling headsets, weighted blankets, fidget toys and battery chargers for iPads.
- Visitors will find four adult -sized changing tables throughout the stadium. These are located in the family restrooms and allow privacy for families to help toileting with dignity.
- Variety KC Communication Boards are located at the first aid areas of the stadium and will allow non-verbal children to easily communicate their wants and needs to friends and families.
- Children Mercy Park staff has been trained to recognize families who may need assistance and are informed on how to assist in a kind and friendly manner.
- Handicap Parking is available to guests with special needs and ample accessible seating is available, including seating for families and friends.
We are so proud of the efforts to include all kids and families into the world of live in-person soccer! It’s one more step in our goal to create a true inclusion revolution in KC. One where all kids and families are welcome – and all can Be Active, be Social and Belong.